Today we went to see Dr Leigh Ann Chapman. She is a naturopath in Portland that has been treating kids with Autism. She has also been traveling around the area speaking to parents and relatives on the correlation between the gut/immune system and Autism. We have seen another naturpath in town for the last 8 months but we haven't seen the amount of progress we would like so we opted to get a second opinion. I'm glad we did.
Dr Chapman was great. It was amazing to watch her read over Madeline's test results and see completely different things from what the other Dr saw.
She noticed that on Madeline's food allergy test all of the carbs were overly reactive. Meaning that her body is not processing carbs the way it should. She is a total carb lover too so the next step of minimizing carbs will be very difficult. We will also give her some digestive enzymes to help her digest the carbs correctly.
She also noticed that her Vitamin D was very low. Plus she was low on Zinc, magnesium and calcium. The top 4 vitamins/minerals. Not good. So she is adding in supplements of those.
Dr Chapman is also trying a vitamin A protocol. There is evidence that children that regressed after an MMR (measles mumps rubella) shot have an underlying case of measles in the gut. Vitamin A in a large dose can kill off the virus.
She's also doing some testing for abundance of yeast and other bacteria that may need stronger medicine.
She agrees with me that Madeline has major stomach issues and that without fixing those it's going to be very hard to get her out of her fog.
She also mentioned the need for chelation. This is the one thing about this whole process that scares me but it may also be the one thing that gets the best results. I'll be reading more about it in the next couple weeks to see if I can make up my mind.
This appt was very promising. I really liked the doctor. She admitted that Madeline was an interesting case. She's not an easy one to unlock. I think Audra and her ABA tutors would agree. :)
Links:
http://www.chapmannd.com/
http://chapmannd.com/uploads///Vitamin%20A%20in%20autism.pdf
http://www.talkaboutcuringautism.org/medical/chelation.htm
I went up to Seattle last week to look at preschools. I think we have decided on the Snoqualmie Valley school district. This would mean we'd move onto snoqualmie ridge. It's beautiful up there. I've clocked the mileage and it's about 25 minutes to mom's, 20 to Missy and Sharon's and 10 to Julies. It's not the ideal location but it's the best school so I have we have to go with it. Of course, I'd much rather be a lot closer to mom's but the schools districts that are closer are not as good.
We are waiting on the man to come and paint the sport court and then the house will go on the market. We actually showed it to a couple last weekend that were friends of our neighbors. They'll come take another look once the sportcourt is complete. Hopefully they'll buy it and we won't even have to put it on the market.
Getting ready for the Buddy Walk
12 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment